Learn about pallet jack replacement wheels in this helpful questions and answers article.
This article answers the following questions. Click to scroll to the Q&A:
- What are the types of pallet jack wheels?
- What are the components of a pallet jack wheel
- Why is pallet jack wheel maintenance important
- Pallet jack wheels are made of which materials
- Are nylon or polyurethane pallet jack wheels better?
- Can you repair pallet jack wheels?
- How to know if a pallet jack wheel is damaged?
- When should I replace pallet jack wheels?
- How do I determine what pallet jack wheel parts are needed?
- When do I replace pallet jack wheels?
- How do I replace pallet jack wheels?
- How much do replacement pallet jack wheels cost?
- How do I minimize wear and tear on pallet rack wheels?
- Where can I buy pallet jack replacement wheels?
- I need help with pallet jack replacement wheels. Who can I call or email?
WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF PALLET JACK WHEELS?
Standard pallet jacks use two types of wheels:
- Load wheels
- Steering wheels (sometimes called steer wheels)
Load wheels usually smaller in size (3 inches or less) and found under the forks on a pallet jack. The wheels help support the load being carried and assist with travel. Load wheels do not swivel and follow the motion of the forks instead.
The steering or steer wheels are found at the front of the pallet jack and tend to be larger (typically 7 to 8 inches). The wheels help with steering and allow for the pallet jack to turn. They are on a swivelling base that is controlled by the jack’s handles.
WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF A PALLET JACK WHEEL?
Pallet jack wheels consist of three parts:
- Tread. The outermost part of the wheel that makes contact with the floor.
- Bearing. This is found under the tread and is mounted to the machine.
- Axle. A steel bar that fits through the bearing and mounts to the machine.
WHY IS PALLET JACK WHEEL MAINTENANCE IMPORTANT?
The wheels impact the effectiveness of the pallet jack. The wheels allow for movement but also help with steering and load-bearing. Therefore, the machine cannot function correctly when the wheels are damaged. This can lead to damage to merchandise, damage to flooring, worker injuries, and more. Therefore, pallet jack maintenance is vital to improve productivity, minimize expenses, and promote worker safety.
PALLET JACK WHEELS ARE MADE OF WHICH MATERIALS?
The axle and the bearing are typically made from steel. The tread is often made from nylon or polyurethane but can be made from other materials, including rubber, steel, silicon, etc.
Nylon pallet jack wheels
Nylon is a synthetic plastic material typically made from petroleum. Nylon wheels are:
- Tough and durable
- Better suited for harsh, wet, or rough environments (e.g., factories, cold freezers, etc.)
- Chemical and puncture resistant
- Less shock-absorbing
- Louder and more likely to mark floors
Polyurethane pallet jack wheels
Polyurethane is a plastic material made of polymer units linked by urethane groups. Polyurethane wheels are:
- Shock absorbing and quieter
- Easy to move due to the low rolling resistance
- Better suited for soft floors (e.g., laminated), such as in retail spaces
- Less likely to mark floors
- More easily damaged by large debris and harsher working conditions
ARE NYLON OR POLYURETHANE PALLET JACK WHEELS BETTER?
Which are better? Both materials have pros and cons. Looking at the environment, floors, and noise level can help inform on which type you should choose.
For example, if the pallet jack will be used primarily in harsh environments, nylon would likely be the better option. If working in an area where wheel marks would be an issue, polyurethane would be better. However, if the space also has a lot of debris, business owners must weigh the importance of unmarked floors against the durability of polyurethane. Businesses must also consider the noise level of the facility. In a smaller workplace, like a store, the noise from nylon wheels may disturb customers, but this may not be an issue in a large industrial warehouse.
CAN YOU REPAIR PALLET JACK WHEELS?
It is best to replace damaged pallet rack wheels. It is possible to replace a component of the wheel (e.g., bearing). However, removing the part may cause damage to the wheel, resulting in additional costs.
HOW TO KNOW IF A PALLET JACK WHEEL IS DAMAGED?
One of the best ways to know if a pallet jack wheel is damaged is by inspecting the diameter of the wheel. The rule of thumb is that wheels should be replaced once the tread is worn down to a ¼ inch or less than the original diameter.
Other signs that the wheel should be replaced include:
- Broken or cracked wheel
- There are flat spots on the tread
- The steer wheels do not turn easily
- Tread is gone
- Broken bearing
WHEN TO REPLACE PALLET JACK WHEELS
Obvious wear and tear is a good indicator of when a pallet hack’s wheels should be replaced, but here are several other factors that will require replacing pallet jack wheels include:
- Cracked steer wheel hubs
- Accumulation of debris and dirt stopping a wheel from turning easily
- Missing or worn wheel tread
- Damaged entry wheels
- Wheels that don’t easily turn
HOW TO REPLACE A PALLET JACK WHEEL?
The process for replacing a pallet jack wheel may vary depending on the type or design. However, the general steps include the following: 1) Determine what pallet jack wheel parts are needed. Will the whole wheel be replaced or a component? Is the wheel made from nylon or polyurethane? Will the wheel fit the machine? Etc. 2) Get the appropriate tools Standard tools that may be needed include a hammer, a mandrel, and of course new replacement wheel kits.
Replacing pallet jack wheels
- Begin with flipping the pallet jack on its back or its side
- Removing the tension pins keeping the axle in place
- Removing the axle
- Installing the new wheels
- Putting the axel and tension pins back in place
Here is a video showing how to replace load wheels on a pallet jack: Replace the load wheels on a pallet jack
WHERE TO FIND PALLET JACK WHEEL REPLACEMENTS
Many industrial manufacturers and general retail sites or stores sell pallet jack wheels and components. They are also often sold by the manufacturers of the pallet jack.
You can also buy pallet jack replacement wheels here that fit 80% of pallet jack brands including:
If you have a Crown pallet jack, use this link
HOW MUCH DO REPLACEMENT PALLET JACK WHEELS COST?
The price for pallet jack wheels depends on the type of wheel and the material it is made from. For example, nylon wheels are usually cheaper than polyurethane wheels.
On average, load wheels are typically cheaper, ranging from $45 to $60+. Steering wheels usually cost between $50 to $60+. Full replacement kits with 2 sets of wheels, bearings and axles are in the $150 to $200 range.
HOW TO MINIMIZE WEAR AND TEAR ON PALLET RACK WHEELS?
Wear and tear on pallet rack wheels is inevitable, but below are some tips to reduce it:
- Picking the suitable wheel material for the environment (e.g., polyurethane wheels are likely to get damaged quickly in debris-filled environments)
- Removing unnecessary dirt and debris from the floor and the wheels. This allows the wheels to move more freely.
- Avoid overloading. Ensure workers know and follow the load capacities.
- Lubricate the pallet jack. It allows the wheels to roll more smoothly.
- Inspect regularly. This should be done at least every six months. It helps ensure damaged wheels are caught early and avoid other unnecessary costs (e.g., damaged pallets).
- Minimize unnecessary travel. Certain pallet jacks are better suited for shorter distances (e.g., manual pallet jacks), so traveling long distances with a heavy load can increase wear and tear.
- Avoid uneven floors or inclines. This increases the likelihood of the wheels cracking.
I NEED HELP WITH PALLET JACK REPLACEMENT WHEELS. WHO CAN I CALL OR EMAIL?
Our material handling experts are available during North American business hours to answer your questions and help you buy pallet jack replacement wheels. Email us at: [email protected] or call us at 1-888-310-0008 ext. 2